A family member with a food allergy deserves serious attention to help protect against an allergic reaction. But does that mean you should ban the problem food?
Consider these questions, courtesy of the Food Allergy Research and Education website:
- How have you handled accidental exposure and allergic reactions in the past?
- How tough would it be on all other family members if the food were not allowed at home?
- What ages are children living at home, and how many are there?
- Will banning the food affect the quality of life?
- How will you teach the allergic child to avoid the problem food outside the home if it’s banned at home?