A mouthguard protects your smile when you play contact sports. It’s important to take care of the device and to keep it clean when not in use.
The American Dental Association recommends:
- Brush with toothpaste or at least rinse the mouthguard after each use. Keep it dry and clean.
- Treat your mouthguard to regular cleanings with cool, soapy water and a thorough rinse.
- Bring your mouthguard to dentist appointments for an inspection and a professional cleaning.
- Store your mouthguard in a container that is rigid for protection and vented to prevent bacteria growth. Keep it away from pets, direct sunlight and hot water.
- Inspect your mouthguard regularly to make sure it’s not worn or broken.