Parents should recognize the warning signs of low self-esteem and help their children overcome it.
The American Academy of Pediatrics mentions these warning signs:
- Avoiding a challenge without any effort, or cheating.
- Reverting to immature behavior.
- Becoming bossy, rigid or controlling.
- Making excuses, or acting as though something isn’t important when it really is.
- Losing interest in day-to-day activities.
- Performing poorly in school.
- Avoiding contact and activities with friends.
- Having difficulty accepting either criticism or praise.